new page

Voting

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, America!

It's FINALLY the 4th! The kids thought it would never get here!

Jason, the kids and I picked up Scott at the airport Friday evening. It was a very proud moment. He came off the plane in his uniform...he's got his Airborne patch and wings now, so that's a huge accomplishment!

We were walking out of the airport and he stopped to put his beret on. Soldiers are taught to take their berets off when they enter any type of establishment, but as they walk outside, they are to put them on. I looked up and noticed he wasn't wearing the black one he had in Georgia, he had a maroon colored one with a very classy symbol on the front. Since he is now an Airborne qualified soldier, he's moved up in berets. He'll earn another one when he becomes a Special Forces soldier. That was a cool little tidbit to know!

We met mom, dad and Aunt Pauline at Jose Pepper's. It was very touching to see people stop Scott and pat him on his back or shake his hand (he was still in uniform) and thank him for his service. It makes me very proud to see my little brother so highly respected.

Then we went to mom and dad's and played a game of Rook. It was Scott and I against Jason and Uncle Leslie. I'm proud to say....Scott and I whooped them. ;) (actually it was hard fought game...we kinda got lucky the last round).

He is VERY happy to be home! His room is in the basement, so when I went down to tell the kids we were leaving and Jason and I hear this big "AHHHHHHHH". We looked in and Scott was sprawled out on his bed with a big smile on his face. There really is no place like home!

We hope you all have a fabulous 4th! Jason is filling the cooler and I need to get started on some food, so I guess I better get in gear!
It's 'supposed' to rain all day....but you know what....rain or not, we're going to have a great day!

Happy Birthday, America!

2 comments:

The Escalante's said...

Yes!!

Elaine T said...

Nice blog pages, Stacie. I didn't know Scott was coming home..when does he have to leave? I should see of g'ma wants to come down this wkend. I just put on 2400 mi. and don't feel much tonite like traveling, but don't know when we'll get to see him again.