new page

Voting

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Genetics

Soooo...most of you probably remember when I had my back surgery. I was 13 and had to have two 6 inch metal rods screwed into both sides of my spine to correct my scoliosis. They had to take bone out of my hip for a bone graft to fill in the spine. It was a very big thing that I would never wish on anyone...especially a child! But if it hadn't been done, I would've been one deformed person today. If I had lived long enough to see 31! My parents took me to a chiropractor who specialized in correcting scoliosis. (so he said) My first trip in, he measured the curve. It was a 37 degree curve. I went to him 5 days a week for 8 weeks. By the end, he had gotten it down to a 32 degree curve. Scott and I went to Wyoming to stay with Uncle Neil and Aunt Deb for 2 weeks after I finished my treatments. When we got home...two weeks later...my curve had gone from 32 degrees to 45 degrees!!! That's when the appointment was made for surgery.

Well, McKenna has been complaining of her back hurting since May. We didn't think much of it, but she wouldn't sit up straight and that bothered me. So mom made an appointment with her chiropractor/nutrionist/magic doctor....and we took all 3 kids in this morning to be checked for scoliosis. I say "magic doctor" because this guy is amazing. I thought he was maybe 64-65 years old. Nope. 77!!!!! I was shocked!!! He is very much into vitamins, nutrition, natural things, etc.

First up was McKenna. He has never met McKenna...knew nothing about her except that she was complaining of soreness. He had her standing in front of us and pointed out that one shoulder was higher than the other (deja vu for me). He had her slump over and sure enough....she has a curve starting. The good news....he can correct her curve because of her age and the fact that we got her in as soon as we did, by doing treatments on her....approximately 7-8 treatments. He had her lay down on the table and he was feeling around her tailbone. He said, "She needs an adjustment to align her tailbone (he used the medical term). Kids who don't get that fixed before their bones fuse together will end up having toes that point inward." Mom and I looked at each other and our jaws dropped....McKenna is pigeon toed!!!! Good news again....he bones haven't fused and he can adjust her until her bones fuse and it will correct her alignment of her feet. Crazy!

Then it was Amber's turn. He said, "This little girl is full of soreness." Amber has been complaining of her feet hurting. We've tried so many different kinds of shoes trying to fix it. She quit soccer because her feet hurt so bad. We thought for sure it was because she has flat feet. Nope. He took one look at her and said, "Nope, she just needs calcium." Whaaaaat?????? He checked her spine...she has a small curve starting in the neck area. Again...her age is perfect to start adjustments. Within 6-7 adjustments and she will be good to go!

Then Dominic. He was hilarious! He hopped up on the table. Dr. Novak felt around and said, "This little guy is a ball of energy." Oh....my....word....and he said, "He's got more energy than those two put together, huh?" YES!!!!!!!! And Dominic had been so quiet the whole time. It was crazy! He checked out good. No curves! Woohoo!!

So all three kids got their first adjustment this morning. And they all loved it! He wants to see Dominic once more for an adjustment. Then the girls will go until they finish their scoliosis adjustments. In two weeks they all go back and he will know then what type and dosage of calcium they will all get. Our kids LOVE milk. I never thought calcium would ever be a problem. But they're all low. So weird!

Like I said...it was a very interesting morning. I learned so much in our 45 minute visit. The kids were very intrigued, too!

4 comments:

SunshineStateWilson4 said...

Sounds like an awesome doc! Wish we could find one like that down here. I am missing our Oregon doctor who was so good. It is reassuring when the doctor is so intuitive. - Sara

The J's said...

Wow, that IS awesome! I will be so interested to see how things go!

Ethel said...

a friend of mine sent me your link! glad you've found a "good" chiro..not all are as smart and gifted as yours..i seem to have always found a good one wherever i've moved to for which i'm thankful!! i noticed your hubby works at Jack Stack..another friend of mine just returned from Colorado and ate at a Jack Stack and said their bbq is the BEST!!

The Escalante's said...

Hey Sara! Isn't it sad how long it takes me to get back on Blogger?! LOL I will do better...I hope! How is Florida life????

And MJ...Jack Stack it one a kind. I don't know you, but I'm glad you dropped in! :) You'll have to make your way to KC for some BBQ. Preferably when it's cooler. It's not too fun when it's THIS hot out!