new page

Voting

Friday, July 2, 2010

It's Friiiiidayyyyy!!!!!

It's Friday....and you know what that means....our soldier will be on the plane in 4 hours heading towards home!! It's going to be a fast 11 days with him, but we'll cherish every moment. I know this will be the hardest goodbye because we won't know when we'll see him after this. It COULD be a year to 2 years if they don't get holiday leave. Ugh.

A cute story for the day....we bought a massive amounts of flags that you can put in the ground to line the driveway, fence line, etc. Dominic and Amber decided to have a parade this morning before we put the rest of the flags out. So they were marching with the flags and Dominic was pretending to be a soldier. I was their audience, so they marched up to me....kept marching until Amber (the sergeant) told them to stop. Then Dominic, with his flag in one hand and a dead serious look on his face, saluted me. I got teary-eyed....then melted....it was just too cute. I went to get the camera and he took off. Bummer!!! When he came back and I asked them both how they learned to march so well. Amber said, "Because we watched Uncle Scotty very carefully. And I told Dominic when to stop just like the Drill Sergeant told Uncle Scotty's team to stop." Then Dominic pipes up and goes, "And they put their hands on their forehead's when they saw the flag." ((Lump in the throat))

We've been putting our flag out every day...and last night I was rolling it up to bring inside. Dominic likes to go out and "help" me get it. As I was rolling it up he asked me, "Why do you have to bring it inside?" I said, "Because we don't have a light to shine on it at night." He said, "Why do you have to have a light on it when it's dark?" I said, "Because it's disrespectful to turn the light off on the flag." He gets the funniest look on his face (he doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about) and he goes, "Does the flag get scared at night?" HAHAHA!!! Then Amber came out and goes, "We have a LOT of flags." (we're all decorated up for the 4th, let me tell you!) Then she asked, "Why is the flag so important?" I tried my best to explain it in a way in which a 5 year old would understand. She must really understand because she goes, "So the flag is really important to our family because Uncle Scotty is in the Army and the flag is very important to soldiers?" Ummm, kind of...yes...you're on the right track. ;)

He lands at 6:10 this evening. Jas, the kids and I are going to go pick him up and take him to dinner. I promised him I wouldn't show up with banners and balloons.... :) Just lots of hugs and pictures!

I better get a move on things! Lots to do before the fun begins!!

Have a Happy Friday!!

2 comments:

The J's said...

I can just feel your excitement! Have a WONDERFUL weekend & give him our greetings please!

Lynisha Weeda said...

I am so excited for you guys getting to have Scott home for independence day!!!
We fly our flag a lot... sometimes forget to bring it in at night but I guess I'd rather forget than to not put it out at all!
It's kind of interesting, out of 6 houses on our street, 3 of us fly our flags most of the time!